Chaos

The moving van came, a week earlier than they told me when we got here, a week later than they initially quoted at the beginning.


Some things were damaged -- a broken table leg, odd dishes here and there, a bent lamp frame, but all the glassware made it just fine and most everything is okay, except I can't find anything I need at the moment in all the chaos of boxes and paper.

The tall wardrobe box with hanging rod for my good clothes was useless. The unbendable heavy metal rod was twisted out of shape, so all the clothes spent their trip on the truck in a heap at the bottom of the box, tangled up with their hangers. I could have tossed them all in a plastic bag and saved the trouble.


It's nice to be in a real bed. Unpacking is hard work. There is so much stuff, which is unbelievable after ditching so much before we left. And here we are with too much stuff once more.


We'll get it sorted out. Here's my main support in all of this, taking a recliner break. He has been a rock, powering through his back pain to haul boxes and hook up electronics and assemble stuff and move furniture to the right spot, and cut up cardboard and then do more of it again.


Boy, is unpacking chaotic and tiring. I'm pooped.

Comments

Geraldine said…
I just found your blog..and at the same time I found it and was reading about your dappled willow to create my own fence in a house we just bought 2 year ago-I saw the next post- you moved. Lo and behold I want to move to Albuquerque after this northeast stint is over and have been researching NM. I guess I am following your blog from now on...thanks for leading the way :) I felt the sadness and bittersweet of your last garden picture..I planted some paper birch..they are young..soon they'll be big and I'll let them go too...have fun with the balloons ablaze!!
DeeJayeL said…
Wow - I guess the tip is to not spend too much time and money on the 'good' (aka expensive/indestructible) moving gear, huh? Well, it sounds like nothing major was destroyed but I hope the moving company pays for the damages found to your furniture.

Glad you have all of your things now, even if it wasn't as scheduled. The good news is that you can take your sweet time unpacking and settling in.
Laurrie said…
Welcome to the blog. I'm glad you found it, even as I relocated. Albuquerque and Santa Fe are two different climates -- Albuquerque is much warmer, more desert like. Santa Fe is near the mountains, with some cold and some snow (7,000 feet high), so use caution if you continue to read this and want to move to a really warm climate! Anyway, I hope you continue to enjoy following.
Laurrie said…
What do you mean "take our sweet time unpacking"?? I want everything in place and pictures hung and decor finished RIGHT NOW. Patience is not my strength. All the open boxes scattered about are driving me crazy and there are more to open in the garage. We'll get there, I know . . .