August 21

I turned 68 here in Santa Fe on Monday, eclipse day, and it was a fabulous day. In fact a fabulous weekend.


Several women from around the country gathered in Santa Fe for the annual August Indian Market. The organizer and common connection for all was a dear friend I've known for 40 years. Two women were acquaintances I'd met only once before and two were "Thursday friends", great pals since meeting for the first time that Thursday. Six of us in all.


There was opera, shopping for native made art and jewelry, dinners out, wine and snacks in, a broken foot (not mine, but one of our party had a mishap at the opera, ouch.) Oh, and there was an eclipse.

81% eclipse in Santa Fe. This picture is not mine --
apologies for stealing it go to one of our party who managed to
get this incredible shot just as heavy clouds here parted.

And there was a birthday party they all threw for me at the house on the last night, August 21 that will never be bested. The setting up above the city on a cool dry evening was sublime. The antics were outrageous, the sense of friendship, both the 40 year kind and the just met on Thursday kind, was magical. The preparation they all put into this birthday fete was so impressive -- I'll never forget it. There are pictures, but not for this blog. You understand.

Everyone came to see our new home during the weekend, but of course a group of 6 women could not stay here amid the boxes and disarray and in our one small guest room.

So a big house was rented up in the hills, and I stayed several nights up there with the group, before coming back home to keep Jim on task with unpacking. The rental house was amazing, with two kitchens, wide covered portals, terraces, and views.
The VRBO rental house we stayed in.
Again, this is not my picture, apologies for stealing it go to our organizer.

When the weekend was over and the goodbyes were said, everyone parted ways and headed for flights or long drives back to their home states across the country. And I got in the car and drove the few miles to my home right here in Santa Fe.

Because, you know, I live here.

(Thank you, thank you, Becky, Ahniwake, Susan, Zosia, and Mary Fern for the incredible birthday bash you threw.)



Comments

DeeJayeL said…
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! What a great way to celebrate ... the new house, another blessed year, and a great gathering of friends! I do, however, want to see the 'other' pictures .. you know my cell #. HaHaHaHa

Still no sign of the new neighbors. I guess I could go over but feel that's more of an intrusion especially this early on. But maybe one weekend day I will see them outside.

Say "howdy" to Jim.

Laurrie said…
Thanks! I imagine the new people in our house may be doing carpets over and painting before they move in permanently? I miss you and our old neighborhood!!
DeeJayeL said…
Aw, you guys are definitely missed. I sure do miss hearing the combined sounds of Jim's mower and whistling!
Unknown said…
Happy belated Birthday Laurrie!
Laurrie said…
Thank you!! I hope all is well in the old neighborhood. I do miss all of you.