Painting With Morning Light

The light in Santa Fe is beautiful. It's what has always attracted artists here. There is something liquid, clear and enchanting about it at different times of day.

When I wake in the morning, about 6:30, I get a glimpse of sky from the big sliding glass door in the master bedroom. We have no window treatments yet, so all is open to the outside. The bedroom faces south and is surrounded by other houses, so there's just a bit of sky I can see from bed as dawn progresses.


But then, just as I roll over, the sun abruptly catches the corner of the house behind us and splashes golden paint on it.


The clean straight corners of the stucco style house reflect the sun sharply. It looks like an artist's stroke spreading out with intention across the top of the house.


I watch the sun create this canvas every morning. Even with my iPhone, through the door screen, lying in bed, it looks brilliant. In real life it is an incredible sight.


When it is time to get up, the picture is finished. The golden house top and blue sky and tall aspens complete the work.


I don't think I will ever tire of waking to this painterly creation each morning.

Comments