Dry Seat, Dry Feet

In this climate I can go out on the deck for morning coffee and the fall air is refreshingly cool and comfortable while a patch of early sun warms me.


What really tickles me is that I don't need to make a production of it. I don't have to get towels to dry off morning dew from the seats and then schlep the wet towels somewhere to dry.

I don't need to switch out my slippers and find footwear for the damp grass. I don't have to swat gnats or wait for a breeze to dispel mosquitoes.

I just pour a cup, open the door and go out in my slippers. All is dry, my seat and my feet.

Houses here all have patios and portals that are like extensions of the house because they stay as dry and comfortable as indoors. There is no need for air conditioning until the middle of a hot afternoon, so the windows and doors can be open and the porches and portals are additional living rooms.

When I want it to rain, however, apparently all I have to do is leave my garden gloves out on the bench.


I always store my gloves in a waterproof place, out of habit. The mailbox on the potting bench is my glove repository. But in this dry climate it didn't seem so critical, and the first day I left them out, sure enough, it rained hard at 5 p.m. the day of the neighborhood block party.


It made for a wet cookout, which got moved into someone's nearby house. It was chaotic, but everyone was in good spirits and there was lots of food and it was nice to meet neighbors. People really like it when it rains here.

Without being able to be out on the two portals at the host's house, though, it was small and cramped inside. Those additional outdoor rooms really do expand our small houses.

It hasn't rained that hard before or since the party. Go figure.


Comments