Flatirons

We found some art to put over the blue rustic couch in the living room. It's unlike the other things hanging on my walls, which are mainly soft watercolor scenes, natural landscapes, or Hope's detailed framed needlework.


This is an unframed abstract landscape of dyed and folded fabric strips arranged in triangles. I'm not much for abstract art, but the rough textures, the colors and the clear evocation of mountains and valleys appealed to me.


What I didn't realize is that this is almost an exact replica of a watercolor scene I've had for years of the Flatiron mountains in Boulder, Colorado. I got this small framed painting when Greg was going to college there.


Abstract or conceptual art doesn't have to look like anything. It stands on its own. But apparently I liked this colorful textile art because it so clearly looked like something that was already familiar to me.

I had propped this small watercolor on top of the black armoire in the living room after the bigger cat picture that was there fell down in a bit of wind and broke everything around it. This smaller picture is less prone to fits of breeze.


But then I stood back and realized the watercolor and the textile art are exactly the same thing, right next to each other. One softly literal, the other boldly abstract. But both look like the Flatirons in Boulder.


So that's my foray into pushing boundaries and trying something a little different for my wall in the living room. I wound up with a piece of art almost exactly like what I already had.


I can't help myself.

Comments

DeeJayeL said…
Good for you pushing boundaries. The colors work so well!
Laurrie said…
I do think it was the colors that attracted me more than anything else!