Dining Room

The dining room gets dappled light from two huge windows on the east side in the mornings and it's my favorite part of our new house.


It's really all one big, open room, with the kitchen on one end and the TV den on the other.


It shares a fireplace with the living room, which is on the other side of the half walls. It's a two way fireplace, so a blaze set in the living room on a winter's evening will be enjoyed at dinner too.


On this side of the fireplace I kept the mantel simple -- just some pitchers and the van Gogh needlework Hope stitched and framed for us.


In this house there is no separate kitchen breakfast area, this is the only dining table. So of course it's where everything gets done: reading the paper, all indoor meals, projects, discussions and more. It's the center of the house, the middle of the open space, so it's where everything happens.


The tile floors are attractive so I didn't put down a rug, and that makes for easy clean up and an unfussy look. I did buy some braided chair pads which aren't shown in these pictures, and that helps soften things a bit and dampen echoes.


Like a lot of this house, it's orange. The kitchen walls at one end are deep cinnamon and the TV room at the other has the deep red accent wall. The wood of the table and chairs picks up the orange hue, and the tiles are terra cotta. A lot of orange!

In the corner by the kitchen wall I put our wine cabinet and another bit of needlework from Hope.


I put my set of four Margarita glasses on top of the cabinet. I've only ever used them once or twice for dessert dishes, but if you come to visit, I will learn how to make Margaritas and we'll lick the salt off the rims while sitting in my orange dining room with a cozy fire.


That's the plan.

Comments

Pam Flint said…
It looks wonderful. I love dappled light...I have it in my living room in the late afternoon and it is so soothing. It is great seeing your familiar things in their new setting. You have done a fabulous job setting the stage of your home. I can see why you are so comfortable there.
Laurrie said…
Thanks! Your'e right, dappled light is very soothing, and it "quiets" the hot orange colors somewhat!
DeeJayeL said…
Laurrie, you've done a great job. It looks light and airy and very welcoming!

Oh, sugar on my rim please! :-)
Laurrie said…
Wait, I have to learn two Margarita recipes -- one with salt and one with sugar? I may have to practice a lot before serving guests.