Kitchen

This is the last of the tour of "rooms in my house." It's the kitchen, which is at the far end of the big open room with the dining table in the middle and the TV and couch at the other end.

It's orange.


It's very dated, with its white appliances and pine cabinets. I like it, though, and have no plans to update anything. I love the colors and I like the old fashioned cottage look.

Other than the rabbit that came with us from New England, I am not planning on putting anything over the cabinets, although there is lots of space up there. I like the open, clean, unfussy look, so I won't be putting any dust catcher decor on top of the cabinets.


The room is functional and well laid out, with plenty of light from two south / west windows and a full glass door.

I like looking out the kitchen door to the gate to our courtyard. The kitchen door faces east, so morning light pours in, lighting up the gate and entrance and it's just a small sight that pleases.


The gate, courtyard and kitchen door make up the most frequently used way into our home. We have three sliding glass patio doors and a double-door front entrance, but this is how we come and go.


The kitchen's not big, but there is plenty of room for Jim to make magic happen at supper time. My plan is to sample every restaurant in Santa Fe  -- there are so many and I'm well started on my way -- but we do have meals at home too.


The countertops are a neutral colored Corian that again is simple and unfussy. The only concessions to decoration are the painted Talavera switch plates the former owners put in.


My kitchen in Connecticut was much fancier but less functional. This one works better, is actually bigger, and it has more counter space.

I even set up a coffee station under one of the windows, which I never had room for in my former kitchen. It's a small luxury to have everything to hand in the mornings. It just makes the bright, early morning moments in my new kitchen nice.

Comments

DeeJayeL said…
I agree, you didn't have much counter space at all in CT so you must be enjoying that luxury. And I like the pine cabinets. A nice authentic look for your home.
Laurrie said…
We do like the roominess of this kitchen. The appliances could stand replacing, but the overall look is quaint.