New Furniture Finally

Our new furniture arrived finally. You may remember I posted about buying new living room furniture 6 months ago. Yes, it took a full 6 months (to the day) for delivery of my new sofa and two chairs. But they are here.


The chairs are neutral and unassuming. The stripe is not as rich and bold blue as I had hoped, but it's nice enough and the chairs are comfortable to sit in.


The sofa is ivory, not a bright white. and it goes surprisingly well against the khaki olive gold tint on the wall. Still, the light upholstery color is a worry for anyone who drinks wine in my living room. Be careful, okay?


I'll post some shots of the whole room in February -- I'm still working on what goes where -- I wanted the two chairs to flank the fireplace but there isn't enough room in this cramped space with sliding doors to the patio at one end, double front entry doors at the other and a hearth that juts out into the narrow room. And we are getting new artwork to go over the ivory sofa. So there's more to come.

The old furniture is gone now, just like that. I put a notice for our old rustic sofa and loveseat and a Windsor chair on the Nextdoor app, and within 4 minutes I had a response. In 5 minutes I had another and in 6 minutes two more.

I put everything out on the front porch and the original responder came and got the furniture 20 minutes later and took it away. Just like that.


I had a moment of nostalgia as he hauled the furniture off. My kids grew up on these rustic couches when they were in our basement rec room 30 years ago. I napped on them when they were on our screened porch later. 

They were in my Santa Fe living room for over 5 years. I've had the Windsor chair for 50 years. But they got old and their time in my homes is over.

My new living room is awesome. 


It finally looks like grown up furniture, not rec room castoffs and wooden stick stuff. Come see how great it all looks. Just be careful with your wine.

Comments

Unknown said…
Beautiful. I really like it all.
Peggy said…


They look really good! Adult calm. As planned.
Have you considered a narrow rectangular coffee table 2/3rds the length of the new sofa? Maybe wouldn't push into the 'traffic' lane.
Laurrie said…
I considered so many options & sizes. The problem isn't traffic -- even with chairs flanking the hearth there is room to get by the round coffee table pretty easily. It's that centering pieces on the hearth in the middle of the room leaves the ends of the room oddly empty looking -- the area in front of the sliders to the patio and the whole double-door entrance on the other end. The space is a weird open shape -- 22 feet long by 10 feet wide where the hearth juts out. Not long enough to chop into separate visual areas, but too long to look right as one furnished space. I'll show how it's all arranged (and it works!) in a later post.

I'm glad you like the adult calm furniture -- it's what I was going for!
Peggy said…


How about a round table in the entry ready for stuff coming and going and home to a large centered plant? A way station. Possibly it could also serve as a back for two wooden chairs that would connect it all to the living room arrangement. Sort of enter to an entry table rather than see the living room farther in?
Or a round table near the sliders with stacks of books, newspapers and plants?
Or two tables a round at the entry and a hexagon at the sliders?
Laurrie said…
Creative ideas! A friend with the same floorpan model put a rectangular buffet, not a round table, at the entrance and it's a drop zone for stuff that also visually separates the front door entrance from the hearth room space a bit. Hmmm....
Peggy said…


Variations on a spatial theme.
deanne said…
Nice chair and what a great pillow!
Laurrie said…
I'm glad you like it!