I'm Running a Fruit Stand


Every afternoon I fill the back of the Havahart rabbit trap with grapes or apples (I ran out of carrots).

Every morning I check the trap and all the fruit is gone, but the trap is open, still unsprung. Every time. I'm running a fruit snack station apparently.


Except one morning this week I found the trap closed shut, the fruit gone, and a tuft of fur was snagged on the metal bars of the cage. But no rabbit inside.

How can this be? I check the spring plate; it's super sensitive and snaps shut if I barely touch it with a stick. There's no complicated magic to this trap -- if something touches the trip plate it snaps shut, that's it. No fiddly settings, no tricky set up, it's just mechanics.

The rabbit is clearly going inside the trap to get the fruit at the very back. He left evidence of fur once and a sprung trap. But he is never trapped inside. How does he get out? How does he get the fruit without tripping the plate? 


I realize I am simply feeding a pet rabbit at this point, filling his fruit cup every day. I am defeated. I gave him a friend and I plan to go buy organic kiwis and out of season strawberries for him at Whole Foods today. 

Comments

Peggy said…


A wildlife camera would show you how the rabbit gets in and out to live another day!
Peggy
Laurrie said…
Well this rabbit is costing me money between buying the trap and all the fruits he enjoys. A camera would put me over! I do think the cage is too small and he is probably not even all the way into it and can still reach the bait. So .. . more expense . . I just ordered a bigger Havahart trap. The battle continues.