Pretty Pink


My editor said I showed too many fire red flowers in my last post, and he wants me to do a post on pretty pink things. So here it is.

These are coralbells -- Heuchera 'Weston Pink'. They are in the far corner of the yard against a wall, in the shade under the aspens. But they stand tall and sparkle in dappled sunlight, and they can be seen easily from afar inside the house.


'Peggy Martin' rose is climbing the coyote fence in the side alley. Its pink roses can be seen right outside the guest room window. The guest room is painted orange and the rose is bright pink and the combination works.


Right now the rose is gangly and odd looking as the long canes try to figure out where to go. But this can be a prolific bloomer and a very big plant, so someday it will drape all along the fence in pink profusion before it eventually tears the structure down.


Do you remember the post I did years ago showing my friend's 'Peggy Martin' rose in Connecticut? Here it is.

At a friend's house in Conn. in 2013

If my rose is half as successful as hers over the years it will be too much for the fence. We'll see.

The only other pink I can show you is a stand of 'Dark Towers' penstemons, which have frilly pink flowers but they are a cool toned pink shading to purple.


They are under the pine tree in front, in an upright clump inside the band of metal edging. Not really the look I was going for but pretty enough.


I thought dusky-leaved purple tinged foliage of 'Dark Towers' penstemons would blend well in the dark red volcanic rock mulch that was here, but it doesn't. It's all too indistinct colored under the pines and the clump is too stranded in the mulch and the edging shows. This planting needs . . .

. . .  something.

I'm not at all sure what to do to improve it. For now, I'll just enjoy the pink flowers.

Comments