On This Date


A year ago in the first week of May were were having our windows replaced. Major project. It's been a year now and the new windows are tight and weather proof.


Two years ago, in the first week of May 2018 I was stunned at the flowering of the Spanish broom, and a little alarmed at how fragrantly stinky it was. The scent was powerful. I'd never seen a plant like this before. It was our first spring here and I was discovering all kinds of new and unfamiliar plants in our yard and in the neighborhood.


Three years ago, in the first week of May 2017, we were still in Connecticut and I had just put our house on the market. It was for sale, but we hadn't yet found our new home here in Santa Fe. Kind of scary times.


Four years ago in the first week of May 2016 I was shopping for mother of the groom dresses for a September wedding, and the phlox subulata at the top of my stone wall was finally blooming after years of struggle to get them established. Small success.


Five years ago, in the first week of May in 2015, I had just painstakingly painted every narrow slat of the wood Mayan chairs bright red. I was pretty proud of my work. We moved them with us to Santa Fe and then got rid of them since no one could actually sit in them and get up again.


Six years ago, in 2014, in the first week of May we got 3 inches of rain in one storm. That was not unusual, it rained a lot back east. A lot. It doesn't rain so much here.


Seven years ago in the first week of May 2013, a new 'Ogon' spirea was just the frothiest thing in the spring garden.


Eight years ago, in the first week of May, 2012, I was complaining endlessly about the dreary, wet, cloudy, cold start to May. And yet, on one sunny day, the doublefile viburnum forgave all. New England weather was a real provocation.


How I miss this gorgeous shrub. I really miss it.

I could go on. I could go back more years, but I tire, and I'll end with the shot of the viburnum, which always pleased me and pleases me still even though I won't see it again.

So, so many years have gone by in such a brief run of springs.

Comments