Habitat for Humanity

In the end I could not sell any of our furniture at consignment or at auction. Everything we decided not to take with us to New Mexico went, instead, to Habitat for Humanity's "ReStore" outlet here in town.

They sent a young man and woman and a big truck.


Some of our furniture was pretty big and heavy, but the two of them managed, and Jim -- bad back and all, toted smaller tables and mid sized boxes out to the truck. I helped too.


It was 93 degrees out. An unbelievably humid and unbearably hot summer afternoon, with a blazing sun.


They couldn't take the sleeper sofa -- some things you simply cannot reuse or recycle, so that will end up at the dump. But they took our bedroom sets (we have no bedroom furniture any more, our mattresses are all on the floor), and they took our kitchen table and chairs, and all sorts of dressers and lamps and rockers and a wing chair and the den couch (I have no place to sit and watch TV) and end tables and much miscellany.

I'm hoping all of it can be used in someone's Habitat-restored home.

All through a hot, uncomfortable afternoon of heavy lifting, our two furniture movers were cheerful and pleasant. Jim and I are exhausted, but then I think that they now have to unload the whole truck at the store, and I can't imagine doing that.

Next step for us: the dump.

Then: the movers.


Comments

libraryeducator said…
Wow! It's going so fast. I hope you make it and love it there. We are in a major drought (+1 month) here in beautiful central VA after a gorgeous spring and early summer. Very stressful in the garden. I don't think I could take NM, but am thinking of options like you! Keep us along for the journey - I love your realism and take on life!! Best wishes. Karen
Laurrie said…
Yes, it is all going so fast! Thank you for your encouragement and good wishes -- it's needed now as we get into the stressful part of packing and (gulp) moving. I'll post as I can and I do want people to see where we are going. I need to learn so much about dry gardening!