Monday Meals

Are you tired of reading about my gardens on a quarter acre of gravel in a dry environment? I am. Are you exhausted reading about the weather in Santa Fe? Me too. Are you bored with my insights after 5 yeas of living in the southwest? Yeah, same here.

So here is a new feature of this blog: Monday Meals. 


When we married 23 years ago Jim took over all the grocery shopping and cooking. Heaven for me, although we had to work together on creating more salads, serving vegetables, and reducing portion sizes. But he did adjust and for over two decades I have been spoiled -- he shops, he cooks, and he's a great chef.

But I miss cooking. Not every day, and not having to feed hungry teenage boys at 6 in the evening after hockey practice, but I do like to putter in the kitchen. I've tried before to take a night or two to cook, and it always falls to the wayside. I don't keep it up. I don't do the shopping, I'm not disciplined, and Jim cooks routinely.

But I'm going to put some effort into shopping and making a meal one night a week. Mondays. Hold me accountable. I mean to do this. I'll post about it.

Here is what I made one recent Monday: Rosemary chicken pot pies. Simmered chicken, potatoes and carrots from the farmer's market, some onions, some peas, and fragrant rosemary from my garden. A Pillsbury pre-made crust, egg washed. 400 degrees for 20 minutes, 300 degrees for another 25 minutes.


This was so good.

My sister's hand made quilted coasters were the perfect mini hot pads to insulate the crock handles straight from the oven. The aroma -- aaah. The chunky chicken and veggies and rosemary and gravy -- ooh.

This past Monday -- a rainy, cold, grim night (we've had so many this season) I made comfort food: homemade macaroni and cheese with diced ham and broccoli, accompanied by an apple / raisin / pine nut salad.


I made enough for the entire neighborhood and the next one over. It had milk, a ton of butter, two hand-grated cheeses, eggs, and some Hatch chiles. I can send you leftovers, there's more than enough if you aren't particular about your cholesterol levels.

Will I keep this up? Will I have future posts to show you of my Monday Meal cooking plan? Hold me accountable! Make me post about my recipes and results. I want to do this, but always fail.

This time I may do it. Once a week.

Comments

Peggy said…


Yum.
Looking forward to your October 25th post.
How is Jim taking it?
Laurrie said…
Jim likes having a night off from cooking. He was genuinely appreciative of the chicken pot pies. He was polite about the monster macaroni & cholesterol feast. I won't post my meal each Monday, I'll save up what I cooked and do an occasional post every now and then.

Don't want this to be a recipe blog. Boy, am I rusty at this cooking thing.