Gentle Gloom

We don't often wake up to gray gloomy days when you have to turn the lights on like it's nighttime. We don't often get gentle rain.


But this week monsoon rains came and we were treated to soft pitter pats of raindrops on the skylights.

Usually the monsoons deliver massively roiled clouds in the afternoons that drop heavy driving rain on parched land. 


This time Sunday morning began with a rare gloom and then cool, lulling rain started to fall. A good day for pancakes and coffee. I wished we had some bacon.

The delicate percussion on the skylights rose and fell as darker clouds came through bringing a little more rain, then brighter clouds alternated with a lighter rainfall. It was a swelling and slowing symphony of tapping, just enough background music to make Sunday morning's wet gloom soothing.


When the sun came out Sunday afternoon there was a good half inch of rain in the gauge. You don't see that very often here.

Tuesday and Wednesday was more of the same. Mornings of soft drippy rain, steady and soothing, and a gentle gloom over everything. I'll take it.

Comments

Pam said…
I’ve finally become a southern Cali girl. I want my sun! When we have a day or so of cloudy, rainy weather, I long to get back to that incessant sunshine. I used to think inclement days were for hunkering down and doing comforting things. Not any more. Can’t wait for the sun to come back!
Laurrie said…
It's so rare here, that a few drippy gray days are fine. But when the sun comes out again it really is so much better. I agree.