Hello

I met my new granddaughter last week. Two weeks old, born on the second day of the Biden administration, she'll be 4 years old and running, jumping and talking when the next inauguration happens.


I am a first time grandmother, and a much older one, having waited a long time, so bear with me. This baby is the cutest little button I have ever seen. So tiny, so pretty, so new.

At two weeks she was aware and trying to make sense of the world she has come into. She is past the newborn stage, no longer puffy and asleep all the time. By the time I met her, her eyes had brightened and she was awake more and seemed genuinely glad to meet her other grandmother. She is blessed to have all four grandparents in her life.


And she's blessed with fine parents. They're adapting and adjusting and could not be more thrilled with this development in their lives. I loved seeing my son as a new Dad.

She wanted to go to the park, so I took her on a stroll, which she enjoyed immensely by sleeping through the whole adventure. We had fun.


And we'll have more fun as she grows and I get to see her again and again. They live far away from me; my visits will be occasional but I will be there as often as I can. And one day this little girl will be old enough to come visit me here and we are going to learn to garden together and play in the dirt and see what worms like to do. I'm planning on that.


Until then, I am savoring my first time meeting her and saying hello.

Comments