Another Vine

I am fascinated by this clematis vine - 'Sweet Summer Love'. It has dense two-toned jewel colored flowers in cranberry and deep violet. It's an odd but rich blend. The scent is described as vanilla with a hint of almond. It's a summer bloomer that goes from July until fall.

I really want one of these. Of course I do.

'Sweet Summer Love' clematis

It's a relative of the rampant sweet autumn clematis that overtakes structures in the east. I had Clematis terniflora growing on the deck railing in my Connecticut garden. It is white flowered, blooms very late in August and into September, and it was glorious. It smelled spicy. The starry flowers were so pretty. 

Sweet autumn clematis in my CT garden

But I know the current owners of our old house are dealing with too much of it. I know that and regret having planted it on too small a railing and too near the house. It's a massive vine, and much too much of a good thing.

But 'Sweet Summer Love' is better behaved, to about 10 or 15 feet, much more restrained and not prone to scattering seedlings everywhere. Where would I put this?

In my small Santa Fe garden I already have 6 vines growing up the coyote fences that surround our back courtyard. Is that too many? Can there be too many vines? You tell me.

Some of the climbing vines here, not including the Venosa Violacae
purple clematis that hasn't appeared above ground yet.

This is what I have climbing up my fences:
  • Peggy Martin rose in the back corner. Long, long canes promise something big.
  • Jackmanii purple clematis -- it hasn't done much yet, but I have hopes this year.
  • Violacae venosa -- a no-show, but again I have hopes. It lives, at least the roots do.
  • Major Wheeler red flowered trumpet honeysuckle is growing well.
  • Kintzley's Ghost honeysuckle -- it hasn't impressed, but it will.
  • A Red Cascade rose, growing nicely, should scramble over the fence by the kitchen door.
And of course Virginia creeper, well established here before we bought the house, covers almost every inch of the back fence and is looking for more territory to colonize.

From The Impatient Gardener. Her garden is in Wisconsin.

I've been reading about 'Sweet Summer Love' and it seems people either have stunning success with intensely dense flowering, or their plants don't flower well at all. A repeated observation is that multiples of exactly the same plant in the same garden produced one vine that flowered and others that did not. It seems highly variable, and not really the result of different conditions.


So. . . do I need another climbing vine that might or might not perform as advertised? I do not. 

I'm sold. Now, where will I put it?

Comments