Floppy Ears


My sister came to the rescue and sewed me a face mask to wear when I have to go out or answer the door. It fits, it's not too uncomfortable, and it's washable. Lifesaver. Jim's shop dust masks weren't working out for us.


My neighbor also brought over several of those no-sew masks made from bandannas and hair ties, but I can't wear those. She was so sweet to do them for us, but they don't work on me.

Apparently I have Easter Rabbit Ears. I have one soft, floppy ear. I have been trying to wear the bandanna folded face masks but no matter how I adjust them, the elastic won't stay behind one ear.


One side accepts the elastic just fine and the mask stays put on that side. But the elastic just bends my other ear forward and the band pops right off, no matter how tight or loose I make it or where I position the elastics on the bandanna.


Seriously, the band bends my floppy ear in two and seconds later the whole thing slides forward and pops off. If I wrap the band around my glasses frame, when the ear folds forward and the band pops off, it sends my glasses sailing. Plus the folded fabric is way too thick to breathe through.

I've spent some of my precious isolation time examining both ears at length, and structurally the one ear is weird, very soft, like it has too little cartilage in it. Is this more than you wanted to know about my anatomy? Are we all going stir crazy in lock down?

Yes. Yes we are.

As nice as the gesture from Trina was, I can't use these.

Thankfully I have a professional quilter and seamstress in the family. Someone who owns not one, but two sewing machines (mine was donated before our move west). And thankfully my floppy ear doesn't flap about while wearing the one she sewed for me. There are blessings in these times after all.

Happy Easter


Comments