We Came Down Where We Ought to Be

People ask me if the move from Connecticut to New Mexico was a good one for us. After all, Jim and I were born in Connecticut, grew up there, raised our families, worked our entire careers there and had never lived anywhere else for 68 years.

And then, 18 months ago, we moved cross country. We surprised not only family and friends, but ourselves.

I tell everyone the move was right for us. We came down where we ought to be, as the hymn Simple Gifts reminds me.

'Tis a gift to be simple, 'tis a gift to be free
'Tis a gift to come down where we ought to be
And when we find ourselves in a place just right
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gained
To bow and bend we shall not be ashamed.
To turn, turn will be our delight
'Til by turning, turning we come round right.

Yes, I tell people who ask. For lots of reasons and in many ways, we came round right.


Comments