The Squeak is Gone

Our entrance gate no longer wobbles or squeaks or has to be jimmied to close. Our new gate now makes a hefty kerklunk when the bronze latch is lifted and the sturdy cedar door now swings open smoothly.


We'll wait a couple weeks before putting a finish on the wood. Luis wants the gate to settle on its hinges before he applies sealer caulking to the joints where the panels meet -- apparently keeping rain out of the interior panels is important, and caulk is needed although I can't fathom why, when it never EVER rains in this climate.

Besides, it's too cold to paint or stain right now. Waiting a couple weeks gives me time to ponder how to finish it. So. .  .

1. Should we paint it Santa Fe blue to match the adjacent garage side door?


2. Or should we stain it medium brown to highlight the nice cedar grain and keep a rustic look?


3. Or should we leave the raw cedar to age naturally to a silvery gray over time?


Those in favor of the first option should move to the right side of the room. Those who favor the second, move to the left, and if anyone thinks aging the unfinished cedar is best, stay in the center.

I always thought I'd want a red gate, but we probably won't do that. I have a couple weeks now to ponder my choices.

I also am pondering what to do with the antique hardware we kept from the old gate. The fixed handles weren't functional in any way to latch the gate, but they are really quite attractive and would make interesting accents somewhere.


They are heavy, aged bronze and forged iron. Each could be used as a stationary hook or a decorative hanger if I could figure out where.

I spent a lot of time this winter looking at samples of gates for design inspiration. Ours had to fit existing dimensions, including that matching narrow panel to the side that swings open on its own for wider access, so both sections needed to be custom built. Between the cost of cedar and the cost for custom building, it was expensive. In the end, I just kind of turned the design over to Luis and said "make me something simple, with rails or a grilled opening at the top". I didn't expect recessed panels, but they look classic and structural.

He did a fine job, and he seemed shyly proud of it, asking a couple times "Te gusta? Do you like it?"

I do. I totally love our new gate. Es muy bueno.


            (Here's what the old one looked like.)


Comments

Gail said…
I would opt for letting it age naturally (I'm standing in the center). It will take a while to get a good, aged look, but I think it would look nice in time. Anyone with me in the center?
Laurrie said…
I was with you originally, but because he made it with recessed panels, it looks more dressy to me now, and I think the aged cedar would be too rough or rustic for the design. It's a more finished look I think, and needs paint or stain. Maybe. We'll see where crowd opinion moves. . . . : )
Pam said…
I was originally agreeing with Gail, but now I see your point. My vote is (1)stain with a preservative coating; (2)paint turquoise. I’m on the fence on this - pun intended!
Laurrie said…
Decisions, decisions!
libraryeducator said…
I love the new gate!!! I know I am an east coast gal but I really am not a fan of turquoise on anything but clothing! My Colorado brother also has blue window trim and I really dislike it - just not in keeping with nature. You had an earlier photo of one in a weathered blue gray stain that I liked. I would also like a weathered red. But I too was going with the center option - a weathered gray but you could help it along with a gray stain? Sorry not much help - I can’t even pick a color for my deck!!! But it is great and the old hardware is stunning!!
Laurrie said…
I hear you on the unnatural look of painted blue in a landscape -- I have to say I love it here where so much is brown and earth colored, though! I think painting it turquoise would be too much next to the garage door, so I am eliminating blue paint for the gate -- even a softer blue would be too much I think.