The Next Century

My second grandchild was born this week. A baby boy, to join his sister who is almost three. 


Both of them will be alive, about my age, when a new century arrives. In 2100 they will be in their healthy 70s.

That's insane.

I have family who, barring mishaps, will be on this earth in 2100 and beyond. Not imaginary or theoretical descendants, not abstract generations to come, but real living people who I love and can touch and hold.

When I think of all the history and change that has occurred in my 70+ years, it stuns me to think of what my grandchildren will see in their lifetimes. 


There are climate predictions and population projections and technology forecasts, but none of us knows what lives will really be like in the next century.

My own grandchildren will know. 

Mind blown.

Comments

Pam said…
Praying there will be an earth they can live on!
Gail said…
And life goes on…. Congratulations on the new little arrival!
Laurrie said…
Thanks! You and Pam are so far ahead of me with teenage and adult grandchildren. I'm just getting started.