Immutable Forces

Some things just are. You can't change or argue with immutable facts. For instance, traffic in L.A. or Denver too, for that matter. It just is. When we go to visit family, it does no good to complain about or even to observe how horrendous the traffic is. It's just what it is. There are too many cars.


Or the weather. It's never just right. California and Connecticut got way too much rain this year. Colorado did as well. We got none. No measurable rain at all in July, and only half an inch in August in one 25 minute shower. That's it. Half an inch all summer. We scheduled our house painter to come do work this week, and . .  
   . . . it rained. 
Of course it did. For two days, although the total was under an inch.


Or coffee makers. They die after 18 months, regardless of brand, usage, or care. They just do. We are on our fourth coffee maker since we moved here, not counting the five months we tried to do Keurig one cups and didn't like the coffee so that one got donated to Savers, along with an industrial sized box of K-cups. The others were traditional pot coffee makers and the latest one just went. They simply don't last. We bought a new one.


I accept that things are the way they are, not the way I want them to be. We allow extra time when we drive in L.A. or come into Denver late in the afternoon. I plan every single day to hose water the gardens in this dry climate. And I am now budgeting for a new, expensive coffee maker every 18 months.

Life is easier when you accept the inevitable. I'm going to go make a cup of coffee and watch the patio chair cushions dry out now, if I can find where I put basket style filters that fit the new coffee maker.

Comments

Pam said…
I was earlier this week bemoaning how much simpler life was in the “olden” days as I was trying to sign up for a new TV streaming app, and canceling the old one. Had to resort to having a member of the now generation come to my rescue. All hooked up, but now I’m trying to learn how to navigate the site. Progress is, too, an immutable force.
Laurrie said…
Old age -- that's immutable!!