I Didn't Do This

This is what I found lying under the juniper by the driveway two days after Easter.  
 

But I swear I had nothing to do with this unfortunate rabbit's demise. Readers of the blog know I have battled and trapped rabbits for several years now, trying to keep them from eating my treasured plants. 

But I use a Havahart trap baited with tasty lettuce and carrots, and I relocated the couple I trapped to live full lives elsewhere. Oddly, this spot under the juniper is exactly where I placed the trap in prior years. The exact spot. 

When Jim scooped him up with a shovel to dispose of the remains, the body was unmarked, with no sign of foul play. Already stiff and long gone, but not anyone's prey.

What are the odds that this rabbit would expire two days after Easter 🐇 and in the very spot where I used to hide traps? I find that strange. . . 

Comments

Acadia2022 said…
Now I no longer wonder why I always look forward to checking your latest blog. Expect the Unexpected! 😉
Laurrie said…
This was utterly unexpected! Especially after trying to catch a rabbit in this exact spot for years.
Pam said…
I had it in the far reaches of my memory that juniper and it’s berries are poisonous…googled it and yes, it’s true. Could that have been this rabbit’s problem? I would think wild animals, tho, know what not to consume…tho I don’t know if that is true. So mysterious!
Laurrie said…
Juniper berries? There is so little for the rabbits to eat at this time of year before things (like my tender plants) leaf out so I do wonder if he ate the berries. Hmmm.