Relax

Here's the Japanese maple that I took out of its big pot this March and plopped in the shady garden under the cottonwood. 


It is 'Seiryu'  -- Japanese for blue green dragon. I have written about it on this blog before. It is the only upright dissected leaf Acer palmatum, all other fine-leaved dissected varieties are weepers.

This tree was too big for the pot in the corner of the deck, and its fiery red fall color never materialized. But I dithered about unpotting it and putting in the garden where it would have more room. Alkaline soil, dry winds and high UV rays aren't friendly to Japanese maples.

But so far it is thriving. It is full, lush and it screens those big windows on the side of the house beautifully.


I like it at the corner of the cedar bridge, and the long-spurred Swallowtail columbines behind it go well with the lacy maple leaves. It's all very delicate, totally shady, very Japanese garden looking and not at all southwestern high desert looking.


I do love the hot colored structural plants that make up the typical Santa Fe dry gravel garden, and I'm trying to emulate that elsewhere. But I tire of it at times, even as I find it completely fitting for the look of our homes and gardens here.

This east-facing spot by the windows is becoming my serenity garden. A little bit Asian, a little bit stage-composed, with bridge and rain barrel and a metal sign telling you to remember to relax. 


Not very southwest but it's a nice reprieve from that usual look. 


In a wetter, more acid, more forgiving climate this blue green dragon maple could grow very large, it's upright and gets big. I assumed here it would be more constrained, due to the harsher conditions, and might stay smaller under the cottonwood. 

But look at it, just two months after transplant -- it's obviously happy. So far. 

Will it brown out when summer arrives? Will it decline after this good start or will it thrive and outgrow the shaded spot it's in? Should I worry? Or should I heed the sign behind it and just . . . relax.

Comments