A Change in the Weather

We weren't as infernally hot as California was over the weekend, but the sun beat down and our afternoons were in the 90s and we stayed inside much of the weekend, at least late in the day. I watered.

Then, the day after Labor Day, the weather changed.

The wind blew steady and hard all day long, without let up. Not intermittently gusty, just constantly roaring. The temperatures dropped and havoc broke out in the yard. Chairs tipped over, the rocker on the front porch went sailing into the pine tree, and my Japanese maple blew down. I righted it, added plenty of water to weigh it down and put some heavy rocks in the pot.

It was too windy to do damage assessment, I'll check it later when it's safe to go outside. I think it's okay.

The patio umbrella went over too. The base is heavier than I can maneuver, but it was no match for the winds. It had the good sense to fall down in open gravel, avoiding the juniper and fence and avoiding the deck and the pot on the other side.

I had invited Joan over for coffee on the patio, socially distanced outdoors, to enjoy some of the last of our summer mornings, but all we could do was hunker down in the living room and listen to things thunk and clunk outside as they were banged about and knocked over.

Behind all this wind they are promising rain and that will be good.

Comments