Garden Center Reviews

After living here for 10 months, through three seasons, I feel I am qualified to review the local garden centers. This is your private Yelp review. I have some opinions if you are interested in buying plants in Santa Fe.

First: Aqua Fria Nursery

It's a revered institution here, and Bob Pennington, the owner, is a horticultural legend, referred to constantly by gardeners at the botanical garden. He lives across the street from the commercial nursery, and he's a presence with his full beard, overalls, and long history in this city.

It's a family run business, and his sons are part of it. I like that. I like his local knowledge. The staff seems overwhelmed but does the best they can. But the plants at Agua Fria Nursery: not so much. I don't think I'll shop there any more.

Bob Pennington, owner of Agua Fria Nursery

My rating: 
Nope
  1. The location is very cramped, the layout of plants, greenhouses and hardscape stuff is confusing. The parking is non-existent (two wonderful guys at the entrance work overtime to direct traffic and they are great. I tip them when I park. . . that's a first at a garden center.)
  2. They stock lots of "back east" plants -- hydrangeas, woodland plants, lots of eastern familiar things. Okay, I guess. Not what I'm looking for.
  3. Their herbs, annuals and small 4 inch pots are not good. I wouldn't buy the thyme starts or succulents or herb pots. All rootbound and dry and offered out behind the utility section. Ugh.
  4. Trees and shrubs are okay. A big rose section. Nothing to attract me.


Second: Newman's Nursery

It's located in a former car dealership and the building is unmistakably a 1970s style car showroom. It's a mile from my house, easy to get to, parking is ample and the staff is friendly. In the former showroom they have tons of materials - amendments, gloves, watering systems, garden furniture, pots, fertilizer.

Newman's Garden Center in a former car dealership building

My rating: 
Useful
  1. I go there for gloves, pots and fertilizer.
  2. The plants are pretty standard: petunias for pots, aspens for trees, some nice familiar shrubs.
  3. The staff is super friendly and helpful.
  4. Their bagged soils and mulches are great, and easy to get in the back of the lot. Nice stuff.


Third: Plants of the Southwest

It's just blocks from Agua Fria nursery, on the same street but down a steep dirt drive that is a challenge for the car and makes you feel like you are entering another world. Well laid out, beautiful plants, almost all native, and all are nicely labeled. They sell great seed mixes and their retail building is spacious and nice. They have an Albuquerque and a Santa Fe location.

Plus . . .  in Santa Fe they have the greatest luncheonette in a barn next to the retail building. Awesome! All vegetarian, only 8 tables, and the kitchen is open to the dining tables. A hidden treasure. I went one morning and had Shaker lemon pie and tea, and then bought some plants right outside the restaurant. I think I could live there.

The Kitchen at Plants of the Southwest Garden Center

My rating: 
Love it 
  1. Really knowledgeable staff. Low key, friendly. The whole enterprise is cash only.
  2. The plants are native, adapted and interesting. All look good and healthy.
  3. The grass and meadow seed mixes -- I might try some.
  4. The luncheon restaurant. Good food, lovely plants, all in one place. Shopping is a day's expedition.

Fourth: Waterwise

It's not a garden center. It's the wholesale plant breeding operation run by plantsman David Salman for High Country Gardens. In May they open the greenhouses and hold weekend sales. The plants are beautiful. Just what I want for my garden, beautifully grown, nicely potted, all so good.

There are tons of staff people wandering around to help. The payment and loading system is efficient. Did I say the plants are gorgeous? They really are. Much of my garden has been planted with starts from the Waterwise sale. David Salman is onsite, talks with anyone and is wonderfully informative.

The Waterwise greenhouses are open only in May for weekend sales

My rating: 
THE place to buy plants
  1. Everything is healthy and nice looking and in great quantities.
  2. They have exactly what I want for my garden, including unusual choices.
  3. They explain everything -- where the plant came from, who discovered it, how it was bred. etc.
  4. Because it's not a retail center, it feels like a weekend plant festival -- shoppers are friendly, chatty, and having such a good time.

Fifth: Some other places

Payne's Nursery is an old institution in Santa Fe, but I haven't been there. Will go and see how it is.

PlantWorld is in Albuquerque. It's a wholesale operation, but for $25 you can get a membership that lets you shop retail at wholesale prices. They have an incredibly extensive inventory of plants, absolutely everything, especially lots of trees. If I had the space for trees or the need for so much plant material I might go.

All Seasons Gardening. I haven't shopped there. It has products labeled "phresh", and grow lights, and hydroponic technology, and apparently they specialize in "indoor gardening". I think it's a pot growing center.

Comments