My Bargain Bench

Our front entry is recessed under a deep portico, with solid paneled double doors. It's kind of a square empty space with a plain concrete floor, dominated by the doors. It needed something to make it more welcoming, so "decor" has been added. It might be a bit much now, though. You judge.


First, the hanging ristras -- those are the strings of dried red chiles that every entry of every building in Santa Fe has. They were already here, as was the red clay urn that the former owners left us. Very New Mexican.


And built into the wall on the left of the entry is this tile plaque under the terra cotta wall sconce. It's also very New Mexican and way too religious for Jim, so he tries not to use the front entry. Who knows what could happen as he passes.


The opposite side wall of the entry was bare stucco, but a screw had already been set midway up, so I hung my little painted whimsy plaque there. We're covered -- Saint Monica, mother of St. Augustine and patron saint of wives and abuse victims on the left wall, and Flying Kate, protector of kite flyers on the other wall.


Too much? Ristras and pottery urns and religious plaques and whimsical wall hangings, rounded beams in the roof above, pillars in front with scroll corbels. That's a lot going on. There is a bracket for inserting a flagpole on the front pillar too, but that really did seem too much.

Still, the space felt empty. Something else was called for to fill it. And I found just the item -- a rustic painted wooden bench with a turquoise rail and a red rough-sawed top.


I put it under the window along the side of the entry and it's perfect there -- the right height, a little color, and a functional bit of furniture.


I bought it at a furniture warehouse near us, and like so much in this city, the price was completely negotiable. I admired the bench, the owner said 'how much off do you want?", I said I'll buy it if you take $25 off, and he did.

When I bought a vintage watch at a jewelry store downtown, I tried on the watch, but then put it back, ready to leave. The salesgirl said I'll take $40 off, I countered with another $10 off that, and it was sold.

At the Mexican furnishings / gift / garden decor shop in town, all prices are marked, but everything can be had for 50% off that. Like shopping in most other parts of the world, Santa Fe pricing is only a vague suggestion, usually about 30% or 40% or sometimes 50% more than what you'll pay.

I think it's because this is a tourist town everything is way overpriced but you are expected to find a reasonable price by negotiating. It's an art, and I'm sure I'm still overpaying.

But I'm happy with the bench I got for $25 off. I love the colors, it's rustic without being shabby, it's sturdy, and it fills an empty space.


If I don't answer the door right away, you can sit on the bench in the entry alcove while you wait and admire all the decor.

Comments