Late Season Patio

Finally the patio is furnished. The vigas are installed, and new furniture has arrived, and it's all very pleasant, if only for a short time before winter comes.


Good patio furniture is incredibly expensive. This set of two chairs and a table is a knock off of nicer wood sets; it's much cheaper, but still costly. It's teak, and I'll let it weather to silver gray. It's not the most comfortable cushion set, and white is a tricky color in such a dusty climate, but it was on sale at the end of the season. I like it.


The rest of the patio furniture is what we already had -- the red metal side table was our Lowe's purchase when we had to camp in the house for 10 days before the moving van arrived and we needed something to eat on.

The glider came from my gravel garden in Connecticut, but it did not survive the move very well. Side pieces broke off and it's a little twisty and loose now as it glides, but it'll do. I bought turquoise cushions so that makes it a Santa Fe glider now. The stump table is a cut end from one of the vigas that the crew left me.


We moved things around in the back courtyard, so the table and umbrella set is now at the lower end of the patio.


Do you think we have enough places to relax and enjoy life? The umbrella table and chairs for meals, the patio set under the vigas for conversation, and the two red Mayan chairs on the open deck for napping in the sun in the morning. Choose where you want to sit.


I'm pleased with it all. My back yard in Connecticut had some sitting areas, but it was mostly a place to look at and to walk in. This little stone courtyard is a place to sit. Not much else. But I'm getting really good at that, and with some coffee or some wine and snacks, I can elevate sitting to a major activity of my daily life.


I even like the way it looks from inside the living room, looking out the sliding glass door into the back yard.


It's getting late in the season though, and the cushions will have to go in the garage soon. We have winter to go through yet, and it will be a while before I can really hang out on my patio.


Comments

Sue said…
Wow, it looks great Laurrie! I admire how quickly you seem to have adapted to more of a non gardening lifestyle. But it all leads to the end goal of creating beautiful outdoor spaces where you can go to do whatever it is you enjoy, right?

Laurrie said…
Oh, I have garden plans. Many ideas and long lists of plants I want, containers yet to be bought, areas of soil to be amended, all waiting for spring!
Laurrie said…
(My plans are nothing like what you have going at your new place, though --- love the patio and all your work to create gardens there -- awesome so far!)
Gail said…
Plenty of comfortable seating and pleasant views for the visitors from New England. I can't wait!
Laurrie said…
Good --- I'm glad you like it!