Selling Anxiety

What is so different this time about selling a house?

I have sold homes only a few times, all in Connecticut, but there was never any issue -- you tidied up, made the bed, and put the house on the market.

In each case my house had a good offer within a week, the buyers asked for some fixes from the inspection, and then I moved. There was always a profit from the equity.

This time I am filled with anxiety. We have spent an entire winter preparing and I am convinced no one will even look at our house and anyone who looks won't want it. I'm overwhelmed with trying to fix and upgrade everything to make it look appealing to reluctant buyers.

We still have not contacted a realtor yet. The house is not ready.

Why do I have such reservations this time? In the 13 years since we last moved, a lot has changed:
  • It's no longer a seller's market here.
Houses in our price range stay on the market for up to a year or more. Neighbors who have sold in the past couple years told us it wasn't a lack of offers -- it was a lack of lookers. In the months and months their houses were on the market, they had only a handful of showings.

  • Prices have not recovered from the housing drop. 
We will sell for much less than we bought for, that's the reality. It makes me anxious about showing our house to its best advantage.

  • Online photos and professional staging are a thing now.
They were not a factor 13 years ago. Now, every house for sale looks pristine, exquisitely appointed, beautifully decorated and gorgeously photographed. Comparing our home to perfection is daunting.

But we have a nice home in great shape and we need to put it on the market this spring if we hope to attract a buyer by next winter. We need to do this.

And I need to get over the discouragement about picky, disinterested lookers. I need to overcome the dismay that when someone finally does buy the house and garden I love, it will only be because the bargain was so good and they won't really cherish it.

Comments