Schnitzel

I can report that I am still cooking on Monday nights. I have only missed one night when we were traveling, and have reliably put a meal on the table every Monday night. I'm as surprised as you are. 


The most recent meal was a schnitzel -- chicken, not veal. Jim had bought a cobalt blue bottle of Liebfraumilch wine, nostalgic for his 1960s youth when Blue Nun (remember that?) was a cheap white wine an army grunt could afford. It came in a blue bottle like this. 


This was a step up, but still, it's a semi sweet white wine made from lower grade German grapes. Still highly affordable (cheap). It needed something bold to go with it, so I made a chicken schnitzel.

It's just breaded chicken, spiced up a bit and sauteed in a pan. My breading got soggy and didn't stay put, but the flavor was great.

I made buttered lemon noodles (Ina Garten's lemon cappellini recipe, but egg noodles, just as good.) I served chopped spinach with some nutmeg. 

My dining partner said "sehr gut" and ate and guzzled happily. Jah, das war ein gutes Essen. Lecker! *


The combination of strong spinach flavor with pungent nutmeg, tart lemony noodles, and spicy breaded chicken was the right way to go with this wine.


* Yeah, this was a good meal. Yummy
Just in case you don't have google translate.

Comments