Zip It

Editor's note on this post: if there are any 80 year olds with recent rotator cuff surgery and limited strength or breath capacity reading this, please continue to the end. This could be an answer to laundry struggles. Just saying.

I ignore the sponsored ads that pop up on Instagram in my feed. I've never even looked at any of them, I pass right by to get to updates from family or garden photos from Instagram sites I follow. 

But this ad made me stop. It's everywhere, over and over, hawking a zippered cotton bedsheet. This time I stopped, I looked, I bought. 

Zzzzip 

It is the bottom fitted sheet that goes over your mattress. The unique thing is that the elasticized fitted portion stays on the mattress while the top of it zips off for washing. It's called QuickZip and the idea is that you never have to wrestle with folding or fitting the bottom sheet. 

When it's time to wash sheets, you just zip off the top flat layer. The pockets are deep and stay well under my mattress -- no sliding up or popping off. The zipper works. 

The edges don't lie flat on my mattress

But it doesn't lie flat at the edges because the sheet fits really tight and is a little too small on my mattress, creating a flange of fabric that sticks up where the zipper and base meet. It doesn't look as neatly formed to the bed as the product shots, but it's on.

Mine doesn't fit as smoothly as this shows

But boy does that sheet stay taut, which was an issue with other fitted sheets that didn't hold the mattress sides well and left a scrunchy wrinkle in the middle of the bed. I like a flat, taut bottom sheet.

A tight fit, a little too small

Once the covers and pillows are on the bed you don't notice the flange edges or the zipper. It's 400 thread count cotton percale. 

It fits, more or less

The verdict: 
  • I'm thrilled not to have to struggle with a scrunchy bottom fitted sheet every time I change the bed linens. It's so easy to maneuver and wash. It really does just zip off and on.
  • I'm pleased with the stay-put no-movement snugness of the fit. No wrinkly middle of the sheet.
  • I'm not as happy with the dimensions -- it's too small for my extra deep mattress, but it works.
It's expensive at over $100 compared to other fitted bottom sheets, but it is unique, it solves an annoying problem and it's easy to wash and zip. Anyone with compromised movement or strength could really use this.

Thumbs up.
👍 

Comments

Pam said…
I appreciate the notice of this intriguing and new product. This jury of one is undecided. I’ll keep deliberating on it and reach a verdict one of these days. Compelling testimony however!
Laurrie said…
I can't believe I fell for an Instagram ad, but I'm finding this worked out for me!