An Unfinished Project

This project isn't finished yet. It isn't quite the end, because it isn't yet okay.


Way back in the summer I wrote about replacing the yellow-brown tiled vanity top in our master bath. I selected a quartz (manmade solid material) slab from the remnant pieces at Sherpa Stone and then waited for months (many months!) before they could schedule the install.

They measured, they confirmed, and they came last week to demolish the old tile countertop and put in the new sleek quartz. And demolish they did. 


The wall just below the mirror was destroyed in the process of taking off the old brown 4 inch tile backsplash. What was left was an open wound above the new quartz backsplash running the whole length of the vanity. 

So this is not the end of this project even though the vanity top was installed, the bill paid, and the plumbing all hooked back up. 

Now I have another project to fix the first project.

> I need to get our handyman to patch and repair the slashed wall above the countertop and below the mirror. It's only an inch and 3/4 high, such an awkward little space to sheetrock.

> then . . . I'll have him put something over the patched strip. I bought some tiny 5/8 inch colored glass tiles. I only need two rows of tiny tiles to add interest along the top of the backsplash and hide patchy wall repairs.

Here's what I ordered -- it comes in a sheet with mesh backing one foot by one foot, but can be snipped by row:

And here is my photo mock-up of what two rows of randomly arranged tiny glass tiles would look like just below the mirror and above the backsplash:


Will this work okay? Or is it too fiddly?

I like the new quartz and the undermount sinks, an improvement over the old grungy tiles and crumbling grout. Much nicer. Not trendy, still a rustic style bathroom, but nicer.


The quartz top is not quite as taupe to match the bathtub wall tiles as I had hoped. It's a little more creamy yellow and the taupe flecks aren't as evident as I had thought they would be. But the look is updated and clean and the cream color "goes" even if it doesn't match.


Another update: I replaced the chrome tub faucet and controller handle with dark bronze to match the sink faucets. They were totally mismatched before. 

The new spout is a bit longer so the water actually pours into the tub and no longer hits the ledge and then dribbles down the tub side, which was what the too-small chrome set used to do. It's the little things that matter.


This is not the end yet. After waiting so long, there is more to do and more time to wait as the tile order gets shipped (whenever; materials delivery is chaotic now) and as the handyman has time.

But everything will be okay in the end. It just isn't the end yet.

Comments

Gail said…
I like the tiny glass tiles. It adds a little pizzazz to the neutral tones.
Laurrie said…
I agree, but I worry it will just look too dinky. The whole room needs a complete re-do and those glossy taupe wall tiles look dated. But I can only do this piecemeal . . . bath remodels are way expensive. So I am relying on two inches of itty bitty glass tiles to make it all look good!
Pam said…
It looks wonderful, but the glass tiles will be perfect. It’s so hard to wait for the finished project….but it will be worth it. Hang in there!
Laurrie said…
It seems no project ever gets finished. Even after the wall repairs get done and the tiles added, I will be fussing over taking down the shiny taupe wall tiles. On and on it goes . . .
Peggy said…

Get a bigger mirror! . . Peggy
Laurrie said…
Ha! The darn mirror is almost 7 feet by 4 feet, it's huge. I fear taking it down to put a bigger one up would make an even bigger gash in the entire wall as I think it is glued on in places, not just clipped. Ack. But really, you are right: what I should have done is a full bathroom remodel . . . new mirrors, vanity, get rid of the taupe tile, etc.

And have everything custom fitted!!