September Charm

It has happened again. I am plagued by mismarked plant varieties, and with the slow start to anything here in my climate, it takes years before I know what I have.

The photo below is a Japanese fall blooming anemone called 'Robustissima' in my former New England garden. It has delicate upward facing shell pink flowers, on long stalks. It was a gorgeous plant, a bit too aggressive in sending unwanted runners into the lawn, but I loved its grace and showy late season display.

Anemone 'Robustissima'

Fall anemones grow well in the southwest in shade. They like alkaline soil, and hate sogginess in winter. Although they are not drought adapted plants, our drier conditions do keep the runners from being rampant. I've seen pretty specimens of them on Santa Fe garden tours and knew that I could have a plant I had loved growing in my gardens here. 

So four years ago I ordered 'Robustissima' from a great reliable online site I use all the time. Now it is blooming finally but it isn't shell pink. This isn't  'Robustissima'. There are many varieties and this looks like 'September Charm', a popular one.

'September Charm' in my garden instead

It's lovely, I'm fine with it, and it is growing well, with lush dark green foliage. But its flowers are a dark rose purple, it's a smaller size plant overall, and 'September Charm' is noted for its downward nodding blooms.

Do these look the same? 'Robustissima' above, 'September Charm' below

Even though it is not what I planned for and I get frustrated with so many nursery mix ups, I'm going to let it continue to grace the shady spot under my windows and let it charm me this September just as its name promises.

Comments