A Mighty Chill Wind

Like all elements in the west, you have to multiply the weather by 10. Nice weather is ten times nicer, sunshine is massively more abundant, drought is way drier, sunsets are more dazzlingly glorious, breezes are mighty winds.


And this spell of spring wind is a mighty cold one. Sustained 16 mph winds, gusts well over that, and temperatures in the 30s or sometimes up into the 40s all day long for several days. Patio chairs blow down. 


Stiff branchy skeletons of tumbleweed roll down the street and catch under the junipers. The rocker on the front porch keeps getting lifted and blown into the pine tree. The cushions and pillows in the alcove under the vigas get tossed about.


There was a promise of warmth, with forecasts showing the end of April having milder temperatures and no overnight freezes. So I bought plants and potted some up and started putting my seedling starts outside.

Nope, nope, nope. 

I have to bring the newly potted plants inside or else the wind tears their little leaves right off. Annuals and new things in the ground are having tantrums as the overnight winds flirt with 32 degrees. The hair of my tin garden girl is blowing straight out, although she seems to be weathering things better than my plants are.


I look at her and tell myself I too can take the wind -- but only if it's warm. I too can take the cold -- if it's still and sunny. I can even take a cold wind and snow (for the moisture) -- if it's winter, not late April.

But the combination of deep cold and stiff desiccating gales in spring when I'm planning to get things planted is too much for me and for my new plants. 

Why doesn't the weather comport with my personal garden plans?

Comments

Becky said…
Same here: 70* Tuesday, snow Wed at 2AM. Seriously, people were rushing home to mow grass before it snowed. My front bed is filled with 12 overturned clay pots, trying to protect new transplants. Seems to amuse the walkers - Beck's given up and is growing clay pots.
Laurrie said…
Spring really is the worst!