Fried Clams

As I begin to dream of summer in the arid mountain west, these are the things I really miss, living here:

The ocean (Atlantic)
The beach (Watch Hill, R.I.)
Hydrangeas at the beach
Gin & tonics at the beach
Humidity at the beach
Wet smelly sand
Gin & tonics + greasy fried clams at the beach while sitting by hydrangeas
Sharp salt air
Clams




I worked for 34 years for an insurance company in Connecticut. It was in a big suburban complex with landscaped grounds, recreation facilities and a nice company dining room. They used to publish the day's lunch menu on a typed notice in the hallway, and it was a highlight of the morning to go check what was offered for lunch that day. 

One day -- I kid you not -- the typed menu featured "fried claims".  

Fried claims. 

I do not make this up. 

They were  pretty good, even mordantly misspelled far from the ocean. Better yet, though, was having a bucket of them with a gin and tonic, with sand between my toes, with salt scrunching my hair and an emerging blistery sunburn on my nose, late in the afternoon, sitting on the deck of the Windjammer White Star Restaurant in Westerly, next to a hedge of hydrangeas.

I miss that.

* And I never fried a single customer's claims in 34 years . . . just so you know.

Comments

Pam said…
I know exactly what you are feeling. I even can smell the salt air reading your post. Lately there have been a lot of postings on my Facebook time line of Narragansett pictures and eateries. Oh how I miss it! Especially the clam fritters at George’s on the pier. But the smell...particularly the salt air smell!
Gail said…
It’s even better when you hop in your boat and motor through the Sound and tie up to the dock at Abbott’s for a fresh lobster roll. I’ll send pictures...
Laurrie said…
I miss Abbott's!