All Foliage, No Flowers


This is what happens when you use potting soil with fertilizer to plant your nasturtium seeds:


You get all foliage, no flowers. Nasturtiums want lean soil, and if it is too rich they just put out leaves, they don't create any flowers.

This is a trailing nasturtium, and my plan was to have it spill orange and gold and russet and red flowers over the sides of the big urn. 


When I planted the seeds in April all I had was potting soil enriched with fertilizer, and the city was locked down, no nurseries were open. Home Depot and Lowe's were open, but it's surprisingly hard to find plain potting soil there, they typically only sell Miracle Gro, and even the off brand organic stuff they carry is enriched.

I thought, well, it won't matter. It's just potting soil, it's dirt and they're seeds. They'll be fine.

Well, they are. They're fine. They are tropical jungle looking and healthy and green and with all that fertilizer and all my hand watering, these trailing nasturtiums just aren't going to bloom.

I have no end of challenges in my southwest gardens getting things to grow in our poor, lean, crappy soil. How fitting that when I plant something in nice store bought potting soil. . . . it's too rich.


Comments

Laurrie said…
test comment
Pam said…
Testing, testing
Laurrie said…
Well that seemed to work. Comments are fixed maybe?