Looking Back


Sometimes I can't believe what I gave up when we moved out west. I had extensive gardens in Connecticut and they were going on 10 years old, finally maturing. Our half acre was intensively planted, with lawn all around the plantings, and it was so very green.


In fall it sparkled, including the hillside behind our half acre that I was re-foresting with dozens of tree saplings.


My gardens were in a built suburb, but at the edge of forest and reservoir land, and we had plenty of wildlife all the time. Both good and bad -- the deer never left me alone, but butterflies and birds were always with me too.


It was so easy to grow anything in that wet climate. In fact, too easy -- weeds were constant monsters, too many things grew out of control for my tidy tendencies, and much of my gardening effort was simply beating back everything.


Sitting in my Santa Fe home on a cold winter day, I love looking back at photos of my old garden. It was my joy and it was beautiful. I feel like I should really miss it now . . . but I don't. And that feels odd.

I don't miss all the work it had become. My photos capture a moment of beauty, not the mess or the failures or the seven months of gray winter or the sight of unfinished projects. I don't miss the feeling of always being overwhelmed.


I don't miss the color green. The gardens and lawn were verdant for short times, but dead and brown looking much of the year through winter and spring. To my eyes dense greenery looks lurid and I kept wanting to break it up with flowering things or hardscape or something to alleviate all the green. 


I don't miss the jungle of tall meadow that surrounded our lot. In a wet autumn it was pretty enough for a short time if it flowered, but most years it was just weedy and ominously encroaching and densely forbidding. In winter it was a brown mess.


I don't miss the lawn. It only looked like a carpet briefly, and then only with lots of inputs and water in summer and the noise and effort of constant mowing. Grass clippings made thick anaerobic mats that were a problem. When it got hot, or when we had periods of drought, and certainly in winter, the lawn just looked awful. I don't miss it at all.

Here in the southwest there's a more consistent look. There are no lawns anywhere, so no swings from intense green carpet all around to being surrounded by brown dormant turf for months. Our neutral colored gravel yards here always look the same, so winter doesn't look so "dead". 

Shrubs and flowers here don't go from being lushly overgrown to sadly half dead if a dry spell hits. We're always in a dry spell here. It's a challenge to grow things, but not the anxious struggle to get wet-loving plants through a tough drought. Conditions here are dry, but always dry. It's expected, not the anxiety provoking anomaly that conditions in the east were.


I don't miss my eastern gardens, although I think I should. I like the cleaner, more consistent and more open look of gardens and yards here better. Soft adobe brown is a more soothing color to me than vivid green.

But how I love to pore over old photos, seeing everything I left behind, dewy and perfect and at its very best.

Comments

libraryeducator said…
I just can't believe you! I still have your old blog site and whenever I see pics from your Conn yard - I drool. I am such an east coast gardener. Your lawn looked perfect - all year round. I follow your NM adventure in part to see if this is what will happen to me. Will I ever want to move west? Or Florida? Or somewhere totally different? I am honestly not sure. I love green. I have replaced much of my lawn to gravel courtyards surrounded by paths and planting beds. I am feeling my age and worry constantly - just how long I can keep going. I was hoping to stay put until age 73 - 5 more years. You are a realist - a good thing to be. I am still a dreamer! Karen
Laurrie said…
Karen, keep in mind that I always wanted to move to the west, it was a longstanding dream of mine. Even as a child I longed to live out here (or Wyoming, but gah, the winters. . . ) Just something about the landscape of the west appealed. When my sons moved to Colorado and California I was even more convinced I needed to leave the east coast. I know I’ve written about it before on the blog.

I think your background and desires are very different — and that’s why it is hard for you to picture moving somewhere. It may not be your destiny to make a move — your dreams may be very green and very local and staying put. But I hear you about the worry of keeping beautiful gardens going as we age. The answer is not to move from a place you love, but to hire strong young help. A botanist and two under-gardeners should do it. If only!
libraryeducator said…
You are a joy! Such fun. Yes you are right - I do remember your childhood dream. My future usually always comes clear to me. I worry that it hasn't with retirement looming ahead - but maybe that means life isn't done with me yet and it will still become clear. But in the meantime I will take that botanist and hunky under-gardeners!! Karen