Things That Soothe


In October the aspens turn yellow and the sky deepens to a saturated blue.


These two trees grow side by side in the same soil and with the same exposure, but operate as complete individuals in every way. They're as different as could be, with one going gloriously yellow long before the other one realizes it's October.

On this blog I don't write much about personal stuff, just trips we take, my garden, and things we're doing around the house and in Santa Fe. But have I told you how awful my root canal was? Oy.

The procedure was successful, routine even, but complications developed and it's been weeks of misery. And I'm a wimp. Over the weekend, after a night of tossing and taking pain meds, I woke at 5 a.m. to the sound of gentle rain. Not a monsoon flood, not a passing sprinkle, but hours of soft, soaking rain.


It was more soothing than any amount of Advil and more nourishing to me than the cups of yogurt and pudding I've been trying to get down. The rain gauge showed an inch and a quarter, a rare amount all at once here. And the day stayed gray and dark, with no sun to burn off the moisture.

Between the golden glory of the aspens, the beautiful blue of the sky, and the rare refreshing soak of rain, I think I may recover and live to see more. And someday in the future I may eat a real meal again.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Actually, as I post this, which was written a few days ago, I am on the mend. 
Finally. 
And the sun is back out and Big Red the Rainbarrel is still full and needs emptying.

Comments