Plant Sale

I went to the spring Waterwise plant sale this weekend. You know what happened, don't you. This happened:


I bought some plants. They are sitting on trays in the shade right now while I sort through where each one will go.

You'd think there would be no room for more plants in the small courtyard area I have for a garden, and you'd be right. There is very little space for planting here; most of what I have is hardscape stone patio, gravel, a wood deck, or areas the hose can't reach.

But this spring we created a new space in the small crescent by the kitchen door and I want a flower garden there. The butterfly bush in the corner was there when we moved in, but I planted the red Cascade rose in the tower in the left corner, and there is a climbing honeysuckle (Kintzley's Ghost) ready to scramble up the fence in the middle.


I set out some of my new purchases in their black nursery pots in the crescent where the soil was just amended. It's a small area, but like all of my garden spaces here, it takes many bags of compost to get the native soil ready for plants.

Last summer it looked like this, with the main feature being the big black bbq grill.


This stone area between the gate on the right and the kitchen door to the left is how we enter the house daily. The grill was convenient there, but it took up the whole corner and looked ugly. So we moved it to the garage, and just roll it out for those occasions when we grill.

Now, with the grill out of sight, I can make a garden that welcomes you as you open our gate and enter. I'll show you pictures when it's planted and starts to fill in.

Many of the other plants I bought at the Waterwise sale are duplicates of things I already have one or two of and wanted more. I got more Mexican Hat plants to make a big bushy stand, and I'm adding more creeping thyme plugs, and more columbines for under the dining room window.

Mexican Hat -- Ratibida columnifera. I got lots of these to make a patch of them.

A few things didn't make it through their first tough winter here, and I have spots to fill. So every plant sitting in the shade right now will have a home. I'll need to get busy digging and planting just as soon as May rolls in.

Comments