Trees in Pots

On a snow-dusted cold March day I decided to re-pot two trees I have outside on the deck. The first, witch hazel 'Sweet Sunshine' is in bloom right now and I probably should have waited until it finished flowering. As I maneuvered it around, I caught that intoxicating whiff of sweet clear sparkling perfume in the chill air. Not strong, not consistent, but scents here and there. Delightful.


It was in a 16 inch wide terra cotta container, and the pot had cracked in the cold winter. This will stay a small tree, but it still needs something bigger than a 16 inch container.


So I found a turquoise plastic 20 inch wide planter at Lowe's, lightweight for future moving or repotting, and it matches the blue color of our outside doors perfectly. The bright yellow flowers are festive with the turquoise. I liked the rustic look of the clay terra cotta, it looked natural, but the new pot is a better size for a tree and the blue pops against all our brown hardscape and gravel and wood fencing.

It was cheap, and the plastic will likely fade in our strong sunshine, but it works.


And I repotted the 'Seiryu' Japanese maple in an identical pot too. As with the witch hazel, the maple needs more room than the 16 inch container it was in. This one is below the level of the deck, with a bit of turquoise rim peeking up above, so it's not like I have two big blue pots around -- this one is just a hint of strong color from afar.


And I have a tree in a pot inside the house too. This is a lemon tree, complete with ripe golden yellow lemons. Like the colorful turquoise pots outside in our grim winter scene, this lemon tree in its Mexican pot with its yellow globes brightens up everything in the winter house.


It's plastic. Don't judge.

Comments