My Life in Another Blog

Looking online for descriptions of life in Santa Fe, I came across a blog written by a woman who moved here in 2006.

It was uncanny how familiar it all read. She came from New England (Boston), and was drawn here by the climate, the cost of living, the scenery, and closer proximity to her sons in Denver. Just like me.

She posted short descriptions of each of the things I've been doing since we moved here -- the farmer's market, trips to Ghost Ranch and pueblo sites further afield. She made observations about the town and its highlights. The farolitos at Christmas. The plaza. Fiesta and Zozobra. The airport, shopping, a little history, the Zia symbol, local observations. Exactly the same posts I have been writing.

And then I came across a few pictures she posted of her home in Santa Fe, and it was . . . my house. Not my exact address, but the exact same model home as ours, in Nava Ade, at the intersection of Dancing Ground one street up the hill. She lived and gardened and posted right here, in exactly the same design house I live in and in precisely the same neighborhood.

Some shots from her blog -- and I recognized the house and neighborhood

Her commentary and social views were mine, her age at the time was mid 60s. She even did a cost of living comparison post between life here and life in New England, as I did recently, and her conclusions were the same. Exactly the same.

She wrote about the discovery of high altitude cooking, and she gardened a bit in her courtyard and wrote about the challenges of dry climate gardening. Just as I have. She mentioned she joined the Newcomer's Club. We did too.

It was like reading my own blog, following my own life, and learning about my own motivations and experiences. I am living her life now. She was living my life then. Twelve years apart, but eerily the same.

She didn't stay. After five years she sold her house in Nava Ade and went back east. She posted that she loved her time in Santa Fe and it was a good move for her at the time, but in 2011 she felt compelled to return to the east coast.

Will that happen to me too?

Comments