Empty Alley

What would you do with this empty corner? This is a small utility alley on the right side of our house, facing the street. The fuse box is on the wall behind the big green shrubs. It's the north side, with little sun, and no windows.

The neighbor's house is to the right, ours is the wall on the left. These pictures are all from summer when we first moved in.


There is a rock drainage path, edged with spiky dasylirion hesperaloe plants. The rock bed begins, abruptly, at the edge of a square of salmon pink colored gravel. The fence that encloses the pink gravel area has no gate, no entrance into the back yard. It's just a fenced in, closed square space.


I like all the elements -- rock creek beds, color contrast gravel, coyote fence enclosure, spacious area, all visible in the front to the street -- it could be a nicely landscaped garden area. But standing on the sidewalk, looking at the front of the house, the right side just sort of disappears into shadows.


Because it is around the side of the house and there is no access to the back yard through the fence, it's not an area I ever go into and I can't easily get the hose there, so I would never water any plants in that corner.

And it's the north side, fenced in and also bounded by tall house walls on both sides. It just isn't an area for a garden. So it has remained an empty corner.


But it wants something there.

Comments

libraryeducator said…
Garden statuary? Something in keeping with New Mexico, which I don’t know enough to advise - wooden totem in Pueblo fashion - heck, I’m just guessing ;-)
Laurrie said…
I'm thinking the same thing! Some rustic statuary -- I'm finding that even an upright boulder set in gravel passes for garden decor here. I could get an interesting chunk of rock and set that on end in the corner and call it good : )
libraryeducator said…
Laurie - the other thing is maybe a couple of “color guard” yuccas in front of a boulder. I am in Virginia and my color guards have gotten better and better - their variegated color this winter has just popped! I would think they grow out west? Love following your adventures and seeing your decision making - I keep worrying you will miss the green - I know I would. I am also facing retirement and keep wondering what and where my future will take me. I think I should stay planted for now in my garden! Karen
Laurrie said…
Yuccas grow here for sure, but that dark corner is in deep shade from the houses and fence, and it's on the north side -- I'm afraid any plant there wouldn't do well. But I like your idea of color and structure in front of a stark boulder. My new idea is a grouping of three upright (empty) pots tucked in the corner. . . . stay tuned.

I really don't miss the green. What I love here is the intense blue (sky) and rich red-oranges (adobe walls, earth). To me the spare, wide open landscape is so clean looking and refreshing. It soothes in a way that all the greenery did back east. Good luck with upcoming retirement decisions -- it's not easy! I always knew I wanted to live in the west and it was still a tough decision to leave my garden and our home and the east.