Blog for a Dry Climate

I follow lots of garden blogs and over the years I have even gotten to know several of the authors personally and visited their gardens. Now, in a different climate, I am seeking out new blogs that deal with the same conditions I'll be facing here in New Mexico: no water, thin soil, intense sun, cold winters and high altitude, not to mention enchanting sunlight, wide vistas and charming courtyards.

I found this newly launched collaboration blog: Southwest Gardening and it looks interesting.

from  Southwest Gardening - a new blog, launched in January 2018

There are several authors from Arizona, Texas and one who lives in New Mexico, in Ruidoso, south of Albuquerque, but up in the mountains. At 6,900 feet, her elevation is the same as mine, and I'm looking forward to seeing how she manages.

The pictures appear to be well done -- one thing I look for in a garden blog is good photography, especially well shot photos that show not only details but long views as well.

There are lots of garden resources that I'm digging into  -- I've received some wonderful gift books, I have met experienced gardeners in the neighborhood, and I'm a new member of the Santa Fe Botanical Garden. I've made visits to the nurseries in town and found helpful advice each time.

But on a January day with a cold breeze outside it's nice to hunker down with some catalogs and my laptop and do some virtual gardening on my couch.

Comments

Pam said…
Is it finally getting to be winter in your neck of the world?
Laurrie said…
It's been in the 40s, but when it's breezy or overcast, it feels pretty cold, and it's nicer hunkered down inside. Most days it's quiet and sunny, though, and we are still sitting out on the patio without a coat and it's so pleasant in that strong sun. Nights get quite cold -- in the 20s. We really need some snow, or even rain -- not a drop since Oct. 5.